Feedback / Suggestions

Pre-Matric Hostels

Pre-Matric Hostels

(HOA State Sector Plan 2225-03-277-2-53 and District Sector Plan and Non-Plan 2225-00-103-0-26)

(Total Budget for FY 2020-2021 is Rs.78710.31 lakhs)

Pre- Matric Girls/Boys Hostels are being opened and maintained to encourage students from backward classes to continue their primary and secondary education. The Backward Classes Welfare Department has 1301 pre-matric hostels (1010 boys and 291 girls), in these 54060 boys and 15896 girls students with total of 69956 students are enrolled.
The following facilities are offered in pre-matric Hostels.
1. Providing food to each each student for a period of 10 months at a cost of Rs.1500/-
2. Free accommodation.
3. Providing two pair of Uniform per yearto student
4. Other expenses for a period of 10 months at the rate of Rs.300 / - per student.
5. Providing haircutting charges for 10 months at Rs. 50 / - per student.
6. Distribution of text books and stationery per year at a cost of Rs. 200 / - per student.
7. Payment of medical expenses for a period of 10 months at the rate of Rs.500 / - per student
8. Supply of bed sheet once every 3 years.
9. For cooking vessel maintaince Rs.600/- for thehostel with sanction number 50 and Rs.1000/- for the hostel having more than 50 sanction numbers will be given per year.
10. Three Partime teachers are provided with honorarium of Rs.2000/- per month to teach tough subjects.
11. Rs. 3000/- per annum for the purchase of newspaper and magazine for each student hostels
12. Rs. 1000 / - per month for each student hostels for cleaning the toilets for 10 months.
Standard procedure followed for admission to pre-matric hostel
1. In order to obtain admission to the pre-matric hostel, students must have been admitted in Government / Government recognized institutions from 5th to 10th standard.
2. 90% of seats will be given to students who are residing 5 km for away from the educational institution not falling within same local body limits and the remaining 10% will be given to students who are staying less than 5KM from education institiution.
3. Students annual family income limit has been fixed at Rs. 1.00 lakh for Category- I and SC/ST students and Rs. 44,500/- for Category – 2A, 2B, 3A, and 3B students.
4. After summer holidays all hostels will be opened on June 1st. Only those students who have passed in previous year annual examination in all the subjects will be considered for renewal subjected to the approval of the Selection Committee.
5. Remaining seats after the admission of renewed students will be allocated to fresh students selected by the selection committee.
6. Students will be selected for admission as per the following reservation ratio.
Students will be selected for admission as per the following reservation ratio.
1 Category -1 10 per cent
2 Category -2A 35 per cent
3 Category -2B 09 per cent
4 Category -3A 09 per cent
5 Category -3B 12 per cent
6 Scheduled Caste 21 per cent
7 Scheduled Tribe 04 per cent
  Total 100 percent
Govt. Order No. SAKAE 221 BMS 2009 for Selection of Students for Pre-Matric Hostels Date: 24.7.2009 the Taluk Level Selection Committee has been constituted as follows.
1 Member of the assembly representing the larger part of the taluk Chairman
2 Members of the assembly representing the rest of the taluk Members
3 Members of the respective Legislative Council Members
4 Concerned taluk panchayat executive officers Members
5 Branch Education officers Members
6 Tahsildars of the respective taluk Members
7 Taluk Health officer (THO) of respective taluk Members
8 The respective Taluk Extension Officers of Backward Classes Welfare Department Member Secretary

Last Updated: 03-04-2021 04:28 PM Updated By: Admin

Disclaimer :

Please note that this page also provides links to the websites / web pages of Govt. Ministries/Departments/Organisations.The content of these websites are owned by the respective organisations and they may be contacted for any further information or suggestion

Website Policies

  • Copyright Policy
  • Hyperlinking Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • Help
  • Screen Reader Access
  • Guidelines


  • Last Updated​ :
  • Visitors Counter :
  • Version :
Designed, Developed and Hosted by: Center for e-Governance - Web Portal, Government of Karnataka © 2023, All Rights Reserved.

Best viewed in Chrome v-87.0.4280.141, Microsoft Edge v-87.0.664.75, Firefox -v-83.0 Browsers. Resolution : 1280x800 to 1920x1080